April 7, 2009

The Liberty Bell Monster

Like all mothers I think my baby, currently a 73 lb black lab mix monster named Libbie, is beautiful. She is very soft, one of her un-lab like qualities, and loves to snuggle. We got Libbie at an adoption drive in Alexandria a week after our honeymoon. She was very malnourished and had Lyme disease and heartworms, but she seemed very sweet and I instantly fell in love. Her name when we got her was Liberty, hence why we call her Liberty Bell, but we thought that wasn't a very feminine name so we call her Libbie. She is VERY high energy and loves people and loves to lick them. Libbie only has two main flaws: 1) she is very scared of thunderstorms and will bark and jump around all night during one and 2) she thinks that all small dogs are squirrels and she would really like to eat them. They are both problematic in their own way because if there is a thunderstorm, like there are most of spring and summer, we get very little sleep and when we take her for walks it is all we can do to keep her on the leash.

I have been learning about preparing your dog for a new baby. While I am concerned about the barking, I am not concerned that Libbie will try to eat or harm the baby in any way. We have been lucky because she has been exposed to my niece and nephew many times at many ages. She seems very interested in them and really likes to lick their faces. I have been working on making sure that she is gentle when she takes food from my hands, unlike John's parents dogs which bite your fingers, and I always mess with her when she is eating. John was bitten by the family dog when he was little and I wanted to make sure Libbie wouldn't act the same. The only thing I really think we need to watch is she did try to roll over the baby once when I had it on the bed...strange dog!

I think for a mix-breed dog she is very pretty and photogenic! I just got a new lens for my birthday so I am sure you will be seeing more of her :)

No comments: